Complaints Policy

Do you have a complaint?

If you have a complaint, please tell us so we can fix the problem. We will investigate the complaint, answer your questions and do all we can to resolve the situation to your satisfaction. We recognise that even in the best run organisations things can go wrong.

To assist us in helping you:

1. Gather all supporting documents about the matter of your complaint. Then think about the questions you want answered and decide what you want us to do. It might also be useful to speak with your financial adviser about the issue.

2. Next, contact us and explain the problem. You can contact us by phone, fax, mail or email, or simply submit feedback online. We will review the situation and if possible resolve it straight away. Letting us know about the problem is often all that's required to resolve most issues.

3. If at this stage the matter hasn't been resolved to your satisfaction, please contact our Complaints Resolution Officer. They will review your case.

If you are still not satisfied, you can contact the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal (SCT) or Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

How can you contact us?

You can contact us by:

Mail Colonial First State
Reply Paid 27
Sydney NSW 2001
Fax 02 9303 3200
Website Submit feedback form
Phone 13 13 36

If you phone, your call will be answered by one of our Investor Services team who will take the details of your complaint and refer it to a complaints officer for further investigation.

How long will it take before we get back to you?

Our aim is to resolve the complaint as quickly as possible. We ensure that any complaint is properly considered and responded to swiftly, and in most cases this will be within 14 days. However, some matters are more complex and can take a little longer to resolve. If that is the case, we'll keep you informed of our progress.

What if your complaint is still not resolved?

We expect that we will completely resolve the issues you raise. If, despite our best efforts you believe your complaint has not been satisfactorily dealt with, or if you have not received a response within a set period, you may wish to contact an external dispute resolution service. (We have 90 days to respond to a complaint regarding a superannuation/pension product, and 45 days to respond to a complaint regarding a general investment product).

Colonial First State is a member of two external dispute resolution services covering superannuation and general investments. So depending on what you are invested in, you can contact one of the organisations listed below.

For investors in Superannuation/Pension funds

Superannuation Complaints Tribunal

The Superannuation Complaints Tribunal (SCT) is an independent tribunal set up by the Commonwealth Government to resolve most complaints in relation to Superannuation Funds. The contact details for the SCT are:

Superannuation Complaints Tribunal
Locked Bag 3060

Phone: 1300 780 808
Fax: 03 8635 5588

You would contact the SCT if the dispute is in relation to one or more of the following products:

Rollover and Superannuation Fund
FirstChoice Personal Super
FirstChoice Wholesale Personal Super

Personal Pension Plan
FirstChoice Pension
FirstChoice Wholesale Pension

FirstChoice Employer Super
YourChoice - Self Managed Super

For investors in Investment funds

Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) provides accessible, fair and independent dispute resolution services for consumers and financial service providers. The contact details for FOS are:

Financial Ombudsman Service Limited
GPO Box 3
Melbourne VIC 3001

Phone: 1300 78 08 08
Fax: 03 9613 6399

You would contact FOS if the dispute is in relation to the following products:
Managed Investment Fund
FirstChoice Investments
FirstChoice Wholesale Investments

Hedge Funds
Cash Management Trusts

Unit pricing adjustment policy

There are a number of factors used to calculate unit prices. The key factors include asset valuations, liabilities, debtors, the number of units on issue and where relevant transaction costs. When the factors used to calculate the unit price are incorrect an adjustment to the unit price may be required. We generally use a variance of 0.30% (0.05% for a cash investment option) in the unit price before correcting the unit price. 
If a unit pricing error is greater than or equal to these variances we will:

  • compensate your account balance if you have transacted on the incorrect unit price or make other adjustments as Colonial First State may consider appropriate, or
  • where your account is closed, we will send you a payment if the amount of the adjustment is more than $20.

These tolerance levels are consistent with regulatory practice guidelines and industry standards. In some cases we may compensate where the unit pricing error is less than the tolerance levels.